Essie Andrews, F.H.S.
- 1/4 lb pork sausage meat
- 6 pork sausage links
- 1 (10 1/4) can pizza sauce
- 1/4 cup canned tomato puree
- 1/4 ground thyme
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper
- 1/8 tsp black pepper (optional)
- 1/8 tsp rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 cup buttermilk biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk solids
- 2 Tbsp butter or margarine, melted
- 1 (8 oz) package Mozzarella or process Cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp organo leaves
About 1 hour before serving; Shape sausage meat into 5 or 6 balls. In medium skillet over medium heat, sauté sausage balls with links about 20 minutes, turning occasionally; drain and set aside. Preheat oven to 400°F. In small saucepan, combine pizza sauce, tomato puree, thyme, red pepper, black pepper, and sage; cover. Simmer 10 minutes.
In medium bowl, combine biscuit mix with nonfat dry milk solids; with fork, stir in 5 or 6 tablespoons water or enough to make soft dough. Knead a few times, dusting with more biscuit mix if needed. Brush an 11 inch pie plate with some of melted butter. Press dough smoothly into pie plate or pizza pan (or roll on lightly floured into pie).