- 3 – 4 slices bacon
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 cup long grain Basmati rice
- 1 14.5 ounce can chopped tomatoes with the juice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Cook bacon until crisp. Remove and set aside. Reserve one tablespoon bacon grease in the skillet.
- Add onion and cook until soft, about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add rice and stir well.
- Add tomatoes, and their juice, water, salt and pepper to pan. Stir until mixed.
- Keep the pan and cook on medium heat until the water cooks below the surface level of the tomatoes and rice. Remove the cover and check the level of water several times during the cook process. You’ll see holes in the rice. No need to stir just yet.
- Keep covered and remove from heat and let stand for 10 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork before serving.
- Garnish with crumbled bacon and fresh chopped tomato.
Fresh chopped tomato may be substituted for one can diced tomatoes.