Kathryn Nutt, Little School
- 1 1/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. active dry yeast
- 1 3/4 cup warm water (110°F)
- 3 1/2 lb plus 2 oz all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup nonfat dry milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 cup shortening, softened
- 1 pint plus 1/4 cup water (65° F)
Utensils and ingredients must be room temperature.
- Dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Blend dry ingredients one minute in a large mixer bowl on low speed. Add fat.
- Add water while mixing on low speed with dough hook for one minute. Add yeast mixture while mixing on low speed for four minutes. Mix on medium speed for ten minutes.
- Set bowl of dough in a warm place (90°F.) about 30 minutes, until doubled in volume.
- Punch down dough. Cut or “inch off” 2 ounce rolls. Shape and place on lightly greased sheet pan.
- Let rise in warm place (90°) for thirty minutes.
- Bake about 18 minutes at 400°F. hot oven.
Makes 50 rolls.