Amy’s Louisiana Kitchen From Union Parish
Amy lives in Union Parish and can be found at Amy’s Louisiana Kitchen on YouTube
Summer’s End CHOW CHOW
- 2 heads CABBAGE, chopped
- 12 GREEN TOMATOES, chopped
- 2 RED BELL PEPPERS, chopped
- 2 GREEN BELL PEPPERS, chopped
- 2 large YELLOW ONIONS, chopped
- 1 to 2 cups JALAPENOS, chopped other options can be cucumbers, yellow squash or zucchini
- Place all in a large bowl. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons SALT and toss. cover and refrigerate for a couple of hours to overnight.
- 12 cups SUGAR
- 12 cups white Vinegar 5%
- 8 cups WATER
- 4 tablespoons PICKLING SPICE
- 1 tablespoon SALT
- 1 tablespoon TUMERIC
- 2 tablespoons ground dry MUSTARD
- 1 tablespoon RED PEPPER FLAKES (optional)
Place all the above ingredients into a large stock pot and cook on medium high stirring until the sugar is dissolved. Add the chopped vegetables and continue to cook for 1 hour.
Fill sterilized jars (boiled in water for 10 minutes) with chow chow and juice to 1/4″ headspace.
Top with lids and twist tops. Allow to seal as they cool. There is no need to can. You can simply store in jars in the refrigerator.