Reba Price Fisher
- 1 cup butter
- 5 eggs
- 1 (8 oz) package dates, cut up
- 2 cup chopped pecans
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups sifted flour
- 1 tsp salt (I don’t use if using butter or margerine
- 2 cup sugar
- 1 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 (1 lb) package or orange slice candy, cut up
- 1 (4 oz) can shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Add vanilla. Mix dates, candy, pecans and coconut with 1/2 of flour. Fold rest of flour alternately to creamed mixture with butter. Fold in fruit and nut mixture Spoon into will greased and floured 10 inch tube pan. Bake in slow oven 300 degrees 2 1/2 hours or tested done.
Remove cake from over and pour on a syrup of orange and lemon juice and confectioners sugar. Cool cake on rack. Remove from pan. Wrap in foil and keep a couple of days before serving. I use 2 cups sugar and 3/4 cup orange juice. I also add some raisins to the cake.