- 3 1/2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans or walnuts
- Favorite Brownie Frosting
Melt chocolate and butter in top of a double boiler over simmering water; set aside to cool.
Beat eggs lightly with a wooden spoon; gradually add sugar, salt, and vanilla, stirring well. Stir in cooled chocolate mixture.
Sift flour over pecans; Spread batter in a greased 12x8x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 325° for 35 to 40 minutes. Frost with Favorite Brownie Frosting, and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares while warm.
Yield: about 3 dozen.
Favorite Brownie Frosting:
- 1 1/2 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/3 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- Dash of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
Combine chocolate, butter, whipping cream, brown sugar, and salt in a small saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil, stirring constantly until chocolate melts. Remove from heat; add flavorings and enough powdered sugar to yield desired spreading consistency.
Yield: frosting for about 3 dozen squares.
Note: For a quick frosting, place 8 small, then milk chocolate bars over warm brownies; cover with a flat pan for a few minutes to hasten melting. Remove pan, and spread chocolate evenly over surface.