- 1 cup shortening
- 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate)
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Frosting (recipe follows)
- Finely chopped pecans (optional)
Melt shortening and chocolate in top of a double boiler over simmering water.
Remove from heat; add sugar, mixing well. Add eggs and vanilla, beating until well blended. Add flour and salt, stirring well. Fold in 1 cup pecans.
Spread batter evenly in a well-greased 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 400° for 20 minutes. Let cool completely in pan.
Spread frosting evenly over brownies, and sprinkle with finely chopped pecans, if desired. Allow frosting to set before cutting brownies into 3 x 2 inch bars or assorted shaped.
Yield: about 1 1/2 dozen.
- 2 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons hot water
Melt chocolate and butter in a large heavy saucepan over low heat; remove from heat.
Stir in powdered sugar, vanilla, and 1 tablespoon water. Stir in enough additional water to reach desired spreading consistency.
Yield: frosting for about 1 1/2 dozens bars.