Bars and Squares
- 1 cup butter, margarine, or shortening
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee granules
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (6 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morsels
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add brown sugar, mixing well. Stir in almond extract.
Combine flour, coffee granules, baking powder, and salt. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture, stirring until thoroughly blended. Add chocolate morsels and chopped almonds, blending mixture well.
Press dough evenly into a greased 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into 3×1 inch bars while warm. Cool completely and store in airtight containers.
Yield: about 4 dozen.