Bars and Squares
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs separated
- 1 Tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 (12 ounce) package semisweet chocolate morses
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts or pecans
- Dash of cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
Combine butter, 1/2 cup sugar, and 2/3 cup brown sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat at medium speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat egg yolks lightly, and add to creamed mixture. Add water and flavorings, beating well.
Sift together flour, soda, and salt. Stir into creamed mixture; blend well. Spread batter in an ungreased 15x10x1 inch jellyroll pan. Sprinkle with chocolate and walnuts.
Beat egg whites (at room temperature) until foamy; add cream of tartar, beating until stiff peaks form. Fold in1/2 cup brown sugar; spread over chocolate morsels and walnuts. Bake at 300° for 50 to 55 minutes. Cool in pan; cut into 2-inch squares.
Yield: about 3 dozen.