Bars and Squares
- 1 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup apricot preserves or jam
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; stir in oats and sugar. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Press two-thirds of mixture into an ungreased 11x7x1 inch jellyroll pan. Spread preserves over surface; sprinkle with remaining oats mixture. Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
Cool: cut into 3×1 inch bars.
Yield: about 2 dozen.