Bars and Squares
- 1 3/4 cups quick-cooling or regular oats, uncooked
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1 (12 ounce) jar (about 1 cup) apricot preserves
Combine oats, flour, sugar, baking powder, and almond extract in a large mixing bowl. Cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press 3 cups oats mixture firmly into a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Spread preserves evenly over oats mixture, leaving 1/4 inch margin along sides. Top with remaining oats mixture.
Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack; cut into 2 inch squares.
Yield: about 1 1/2 dozen.