Bars and Squares
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped black walnuts
Combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 cup flour in a medium mixing bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press dough evenly into a 9 inch square baking pan; bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Combine 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon flour, salt eggs, vanilla, coconut, and black walnuts in a medium mixing bowl. Pour over baked crust. Bake at 375° for 20 minutes. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Cut into 3-x 1 1/2 inch bars.
Yield: 1 1/2 dozen.