Bars and Squares
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Lemon Frosting
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1/2 cup brown sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add 1 cup flour and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mixing well. Press mixture evenly into a 13x9x2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes.
Combine remaining ingredients, except Lemon Frosting, in a small mixing bowl. Spread evenly over baked mixture. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; spread with Lemon Frosting. Cut into 2 1/2 inch diamond shapes, and remove to wire racks to cool completely.
Yield: 3 dozen.
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Combine all ingredients in small mixing bowl; beat until smooth.
Yield: frosting for 3 dozen diamonds.