Bars and Squares
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- Frosting (recipe follows)
Combine 1 cup flour and butter to make a smooth paste; spread evenly in a greased 9-inch square baking pan. Bake at 375° for 15 minutes.
Combine eggs, sugar, 2 tablespoons flour baking powder, salt, sand vanilla; blend well. Stir in coconut and 1 cup pecans; spread over warm crust. Bake at 375 for 20 minutes. Cool completely in pan; spread with frosting, and sprinkle with remaining pecans. Cut into 1 1/2 inch squares.
Yield: 3 dozen
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
Combine all ingredients: beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
Yield: Frosting for 3 dozen squares.