Bars and Squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Frosting (recipe follows)
Combine 1 cup flour and 2 tablespoons sugar. Using hands, blend in butter until dough is smooth. Press dough evenly into bottom of a greased 9 inch square baking dish. Bake 325° for 10 to 15 minutes.
Combine eggs, brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl, beating well. Stir in pecans coconut and vanilla. Pour mixture evenly over baked crust. Bake at 325° for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool in pan. Spread with frosting, and cut into 1 1/2 inch squares. Remove from pan carefully to avoid breaking bottom crust.
Yield: 3 dozen.
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half
Combine all ingredients, beating until smooth. Additional powdered sugar may be added if necessary.
Yield: Frosting for 3 dozen squares.