Bars and Squares
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup regular oats, uncooked
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 1/4 cup chopped candied fruit
- Red and green candied cherries
Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl, mixing well. Add butter, egg, milk, and sugar; beat until well blended.
Combine oats, pecans, dates, and candied fruit; add to flour mixture. Spread mixture in a greased 13x 9×2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. Bake at 350° for 45 to 50 minutes. Cool. Drizzle cookies with glaze; cut into 2 inch squares or diamonds, and arrange pieces of cherries on top of each square to resemble holly.
Yield: about 2 dozen.
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients, beating with a wire whisk until smooth.
Yield: glaze for about 2 dozen squares.