Bars and Squares
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Cut butter into flour with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press mixture evenly into an ungreased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
Beat eggs; add brown sugar, coconut, baking powder, and vanilla, mixing well. Spread over baked crust; return to oven, and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Combine powdered sugar, lemon rind, and juice in a medium mixing bowl, beating until smooth. Spread glaze over warm cookies in pan. Cut into 2-inch squares. Leave uncovered, at least overnight, before storing in an air-tight container.
Yield: 2 dozen.
Note: Lemon Squares may be cut into larger squares and topped with vanilla ice cream.