Bars and Squares
- 4 1/2 cups chopped pecans, divided
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 1/4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups candied red cherries, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chopped candied pineapple
- 1/2 cup chopped candied citron
- Light rum
Sprinkle 3 cups pecans evenly over a greased 15 x 10 x 1-inch jellyroll pan; set aside.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition; stir in vanilla. Gradually add flour, stirring well. Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Combine cherries, pineapple, citron, and remaining pecans in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Gently press mixture into top of batter in pan. Bake at 350° for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool slightly; cut into 2 x 1 inch bars. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Sprinkle rum over each bar.
Yield: about 6 dozen.
Note: Rum Bars may be stored 2 to 3 weeks in airtight containers to mellow.