Bars and Squares
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2/3 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup regular or quick-cooking oats, uncooked
Combine milk, lemon rind, and juice; set aside.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and oats. Add to creamed mixture; blend until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Press half of oats mixture firmly into a greased 12 x 8 x 2 inch baking pan. Spread reserved milk mixture evenly over top. Cover with remaining oats mixture. Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until edges are browned. Cool in pan 15 minutes; cut into 2 inch squares. Chill in pan until firm.
Yield: 2 dozen.