- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 2/3 cup bourbon
- 1 pound chopped raisins or chopped dates
- 1 (8 ounce) package candied cherries, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package candied pineapple, chopped
- 2 cups chopped pecans
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each additions.
Combine flour and spices, if desired: dissolve soda in milk. Add flour mixture to creamed mixture alternately with milk mixture and bourbon, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Add candied fruit and pecans, stirring well.
Drop dough by teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets. Bake at 250° for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: about 6 dozen.