- 2 (8 ounce) packages pitted dates
- 2 cups pecan or walnut halves
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup commercial sour cream
- Golden Frosting or frosting of your desire.
Stuff each date with a pecan half.
Cream butter; gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg; beat well.
Combine flour, baking powder, soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl; add to creamed mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in prepared dates.
Drop dough by heaping teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto greased cookie sheets, allowing 1 date per cookie. Bake at 375° for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spread Golden Frosting over each cookie, if desired.
Yield: 5 1/2 dozen.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
Brown butter slightly in a medium skillet; remover from heat. Gradually add sugar and vanilla, beating well. Slowly add water, beating to yield desired spreading consistency.
Yield: frosting for 5 1/2 dozen cookies.