Rolled and Sliced Cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons commercial sour cream
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- Green and red food coloring
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and sour cream, mixing well.
Combine flour and salt; fold into creamed mixture. Cover dough, and chill several hours or overnight.
Working with small portions of dough at a time, roll to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface. Cut with star or tree shaped cookie cutters. Place 1 inch apart on lightly greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 8 to 10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Combine powdered sugar and enough water to yield a thin spreading consistency. Tint two-thirds of mixture green and one-third red. Spread green mixture evenly over cookies; outline edges with red mixture.