Rolled and Sliced Cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 3 tablespoons grated orange rind
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tables orange juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in vanilla, coconut, orange rind, and juice, blending well.
Sift together flour and soda in a medium mixing bowl; add to creamed mixture, blending well.
Shape dough into 2 rolls, 1 1/2 inches in diameter; wrap in waxed paper. Place in freezer until firm. Remove waxed paper, and cut into 1/4 inch slices. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets, and bake at 375° for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Store in airtight containers. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: about 7 dozen.