- 2 cups Basic Cookie Mix
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon orange juice
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
Combine all ingredients, mixing well. Shape dough into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 375° for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Yield: about 2 1/2 dozen.
Note: Lemon rind and juice or spices may be substituted for orange rind and juice.
Basic Cookie Mix:
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats, uncooked
- 2 cups corn flakes
Combine shortening and sugar in a large bowl, blending well.
Combine remaining ingredients; mix well. Add to sugar mixture, blending well. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
Yield: cookie mix for about 10 dozen cookies.