- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 (8 ounce) jars maraschino cherries, drained cherries, drained
- Rainbow Glaze
- Chocolate Glaze
- Chopped walnuts
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in vanilla. Add flour, salt, and milk, blending well. Shape dough around each cherry, using 1 tablespoon dough at a time; place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Dips tops of cookies in Rainbow Glaze or Chocolate Glaze; sprinkle immediately with walnuts.
Yield: about 3 dozen.
- 2 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons water Yellow, pink, and green food coloring
Combine sugar and water; beat until smooth. Divide glaze into thirds in small mixing bowls. Stir in food coloring using a different color in each bowl.
Yield: Glaze for about 2 dozen cookies.
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water
- 1 (1 ounce) square unsweetened chocolate, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Combine all ingredients in a medium mixing bowl; beat with a wire whisk until smooth.
Yield: glaze for about 1 dozen cookies.