- 1 cup shortening
- 1 (3 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups finely chopped pecans
- 36 maraschino cherries, halved
Cream shortening and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Stir in almond extract.
Sift together flour, soda, and salt in a medium mixing bowl; add to creamed mixture, beating well. Chill 1 hour.
Shape dough into 1 inch balls; roll in pecans. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Gently press a cherry half in center of each cookie. Bake at 350° for 12 to 15 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers in refrigerator up to 1 week.
Yield: 6 dozen.