- 1/3 cup finely crushed Peppermint candy
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, sortened
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon red food coloring
Combine candy and 1/3 cup sugar in a small mixing bowl, mixing well. Set aside.
Cream shortening and butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add 1 cup sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add flour and salt; mix well.
Divide dough in half; tint half of dough with food coloring. Shape tinted and plain dough by teaspoonfuls into 4 1/2 inch rolls on a lightly floured surface. Place a tinted and a plain roll side by side; carefully twist together. Curve on end down to resemble a cane. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Place cookies on ungreased cookie sheet; bake at 375° for 9 minutes or just until edges begin to brown. Remove cookies from cookie sheets while warm; immediately coat with reserved candy mixture. Cool completely on wire racks.
Yield: about 4 dozen.