- 1 cup honey
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1/3 cup finely chopped candied citron
- Candied red cherry halves
- Whole blanched almonds
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sifted powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon rum or water
Heat honey in a medium saucepan just until warm. Add brown sugar, egg, and lemon juice, stirring well.
Sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices in a large mixing bowl. Add honey mixture, almonds, and citron; stir until blended. Divide dough into fourths; cover and chill overnight.
Roll one portion of dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a heavily floured surface; keep remaining dough chilled until ready to use. Cut dough with a 2 1/2 inch round cutter; place 2 inches apart on a greased cookie sheet. Gently press a candied cherry half in center of each and arrange 5 almonds radiating from center of each cherry. Bake at 375° for 12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Combine powdered sugar and rum; stir until blended. Brush rum mixture evenly over warm cookies. Let cool completely. Repeat procedure with remaining dough. Store in an airtight container.
Yield: about 2 dozen.
Note: When first baked, cookies are hard and crunchy. They are typically stored in an airtight container for 2 weeks to soften, although they may be eaten earlier, if desired.