- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup honey
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup chopped candied cherries
- 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
- Lemon Frosting
Combine egg and brown sugar in a large mixing bowl; mix well. Stir in molasses and honey, and set aside.
Combine flour, soda, salt, and spices in a medium mixing bowl. Combine 1 cup flour mixture, cherries, and almonds, tossing to coat; set aside. Add remaining flour mixture to molasses mixture, stirring well; fold in cherry and almond mixture.
Press dough into a greased 15 x 10 x 1 inch jellyroll pan. Bake at 300° for 40 minutes. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Spread Lemon Frosting evenly over surface; cut into 3 x 1 inch bars.
Yield: about 4 dozen.
- 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl; blend well.
Yield: frosting for about 4 dozen bars.