Farmerville First Baptist Church Sesquicentennial Cookbook 1847-1997
- 1/2 lb boneless sirloin steak
- 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh basil (or 1 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp minced fresh mint (or 3/4 tsp dried mint)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp fresh gingerroot, grated (or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp ground ginger)
- 1 large sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1/2 medium cucumber, chopped
- 6 cup torn mixed salad greens
Partially freeze beef. Slice across the grain into thin strips; set aside. For dressing, combine lime juice, sugar, soy sauce, basil, and mint; set aside. In a medium nonstick skillet that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray, sauté jalapeno, garlic, and ginger for 30 seconds. Add beef: stir-fry until cooked as desired. Remove beef from pan; gently toss with red pepper and cucumber. Place greens in a large bowl or divide among individual bowls or plates; top with beef mixture. Add dressing to pan and bring to a boil; remove from the heat and drizzle over salad.
Yield: 4 serving.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (prepared with low-sodium soy sauce) equals 2 very lean meat, 2 vegetable; also, 152 calories, 171 mg sodium, 45 mg cholesterol, 11 gm carbohydrate, 17 gm protein, 5 gm fat.