Rolled and Sliced Cookies
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Decorator candies
- Decorator Frosting
Cream butter. Add sugar and eggs, beating well. Stir in milk and vanilla.
Combine flour baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl; all to creamed mixture, mixing well. Chill.
Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface; cut with assorted cutters. Place 2 inches apart on greased cookie sheets. Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool. Decorate with candies and Decorator Frosting.
Yield: about 5 dozen
- 3 tablespoons commercial meringue powder
- 1 (16 ounce) package powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons warm warm
- Red and green paste food coloring
Combine first 3 ingredients in a mixing bowl; beat at high speed with an electric mixer 7 to 10 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Tint one-fourth of frosting red; tint remaining green.
Yield: frosting for 5 dozen cookies.
Note: Frosting dries very quickly; keep covered at all times with plastic wrap. Food coloring may be substituted or omitted if frosting is used for other cookie recipes.