- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons grated orange ring
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Dash of salt
- 1 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk; beat well. Stir in vanilla, orange rind and lemon rind. Add flour and salt blending well.
Shape dough into 3/4 inch balls; coat with unbeaten egg white, and roll in walnuts. Place 2 inches apart on well greased cookie sheets; press to flatten slightly. Bake at 350° for 12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Store in airtight containers.
Yield: 4 dozen.